Welcome to the Year 2 Home Learning Page!
Below, you will find lots of activities which you can pick and choose to fit in with your child/ routine.
I would love to see what you have been up to at home, so please keep sending your photos and messages to the teacher email.
We will be continuing with our work from White Rose Maths. Please click on the links to the files in the downloads below.
It would be great to also keep up with our mental maths work – this can be done verbally or through the Hit the Button App (can also be played for free in your internet browser). Please see ideas below:
- Counting in steps of 2, 5 and 10. Challenge – can this help with counting in steps of 20, 50 and 100?
- Moving on to counting in steps of 3 (new learning for some)
- Number bonds to 10, 20 and 10
- Counting forwards and backwards to 100 starting at any number (lots of children actually struggle with counting backwards)
Further Arithmetic Practice
I have attached several documents in the downloads which can be printed as sheets for arithmetic practice should you wish your child to have additional activities. These documents contain at least 8 sheets per download and should keep your child busy for a few weeks!
Please continue to practice any spellings that you are not secure with from the Year 1 and 2 Common Exception words (in the downloads below) and you can start to look at the Year 3/4 list (also in the downloads below). If your child is secure will all of the spellings, you could have a daily lucky dip, choosing 5 different words to spell each day.
Continue to access the Oxford Owl website.
We will continue to follow the same format of the Hamilton Trust as for previous weeks – please continue from where you are up to. But again, if you would prefer to follow your child’s interests then it’s always a good motivator for reluctant writers.
It is worth saying here that children also need to be able to read all of the year 1 and 2 common exception words. You could play a game of ‘fastest finger first’ with the word list.
Week Commencing 15th June: Space X Rocket Launch
I was really excited to watch the launch of the Space X Rocket on a mission to the International Space Station. Can you find out about the rocket? Who were the astronauts inside? What is the International Space Station like? What is it like for astronauts who live on the International Space Station? What training do astronauts have to do? What do astronauts have to wear and why? What would it feel like to be in the rocket?
Week Commencing 22nd June: Florence Nightingale
Nurses have been our superheroes and we have been clapping for them and showing them how much we appreciate what they do. This week I would like you to find out about a very special nurse called Florence Nightingale. Who was she? What did she do? Why was she so special? Can you write a fact file about Florence? Can you make a lamp with paper? Can you compare the hospitals that Florence worked in to hospitals today? Can you imagine that you are Florence and write a page in her diary?
Week Commencing 29th June: Materials (Science)
Materials would have been our next science topic. Please see the downloads for a Materials activity pack. The pack contains lots of practical activity ideas for exploring materials.
Week Commencing 6th July: Map Skills (Geography)
Can you use the skills used earlier in the year to create your own map. See the plan and power point in the downloads below.
Rob Biddulph, children’s illustrator, has continued to provide live art lessons every Tuesday and Thursday. You can also find his previous lessons on this link. The sessions are great fun and the results at the end are equally great! Draw with Rob
Another really good Art resource is: https://www.facebook.com/Artscooluk/
Additional Learning and Resources
Here are some additional resources should you require them:
- Spellings - Common Exception Words Year 2
- Spellings - Common Exception Words Activity Booklet Year 2
- Spellings - Year 3/4 Common Exception Words
- Monday 15th June Maths
- Monday 15th June Maths Answers
- Tuesday 16th June Maths
- Tuesday 16th June Maths Answers
- Wednesday 17th June Maths
- Wednesday 17th June Maths Answers
- Thursday 18th June Maths
- Thursday 18th June Maths Answers
- Additional Arithmetic 1 (optional if needed) Adding Tens
- Additional Arithmetic 2 (optional if needed) Missing Numbers
- Additional Arithmetic 3 (optional if needed) Inverse
- Additional Arithmetic 4 (optional if needed) 2 Digit Subtraction
- Additional Arithmetic 5 (optional if needed) 2 Digit Numbers and Ones
- Additional Arithmetic 6 (optional if needed) Two Digit Addition
- Additional Arithmetic 7 (optional if needed) Subtracting Tens
- Additional Arithmetic 8 (optional if needed) Repeated Addition
- Additional Arithmetic 9 (optional if needed) Fractions
- Additional Arithmetic 10 (optional if needed) Bonds to 20
- Additional Arithmetic 11 (optional if needed) Add Three 1 Digit Numbers
- Additional Arithmetic 12 (optional if needed) Adding Tens
- Monday 22nd June Maths
- Monday 22nd June Maths Answers
- Monday 22nd June English
- Tuesday 23rd June Maths
- Tuesday 23rd June Maths Answers
- Tuesday 23rd June English
- Wednesday 24th June Maths
- Wednesday 24th June Maths Answers
- Wednesday 24th June English
- Thursday 25th June Maths
- Thursday 25th June Maths Answers
- Thursday 25th June English
- Friday 26th June English
- Science: Materials (Activity Pack)
Home Learning Activities for Week Commencing Monday 29th June.
If you require additional activities, please continue to use the arithmetic sheets in the downloads above.
- Monday 29th June Maths
- Monday 29th June Maths Answers
- Monday 29th June English
- Tuesday 30th June Maths
- Tuesday 30th June Maths Answers
- Tuesday 30th June English
- Wednesday 1st July Maths
- Wednesday 1st July Maths Answers
- Wednesday 1st July English
- Thursday 2nd July Maths
- Thursday 2nd July Maths Answers
- Thursday 2nd July English
- Friday 3rd July English
- Science: Materials
Home Learning Activities for Week Commencing Monday 6th July.
- Monday 6th July Maths
- Monday 6th July Maths Answers
- Tuesday 7th July Maths
- Monday 6th July English
- Tuesday 7th July Maths Answers
- Tuesday 7th July English
- Wednesday 8th July Maths
- Wednesday 8th July Maths Answers
- Wednesday 8th July English
- Thursday 9th July Maths
- Thursday 9th July Maths Answers
- Thursday 9th July English
- Friday 10th July English
- Geography Lesson Plan
- Geography PowerPoint
Home Learning Activities for Week Commencing Monday 13th July.
- Monday 13th July Maths
- Monday 13th July Maths Answers
- Monday 13th July English
- Tuesday 14th July Maths
- Tuesday 14th July Maths Answers
- Wednesday 15th July Maths
- Tuesday 14th July English
- Wednesday 15th July Maths Answers
- Wednesday 15th July English
- Thursday 16th July Maths
- Thursday 16th July Maths Answers
- Thursday 16th July English
- Friday 17th July English
Further Activities and Information:
Halton Summer Reading Challenge
Halton libraries are yet again promoting the Summer Reading Challenge. Please keep your eyes peeled for information and have a sneaky peak at the link here for a look at what the theme of the challenge is this year https://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/
Hungry Little Minds
If you have any younger children in your house, you may be interested in the Hungry Little Minds Activities.
“Hungry Little Minds” is The Department for Education’s campaign offering simple, fun activities for children, from newborn to five. It has a range of activities and information to support the development of children’s communication and thinking skills and ideas to add into home routines. The activities are broken down into 0-6 months; 6-12 months; 12-24 months; 2-3 years; 3-5 years. https://hungrylittleminds.campaign.gov.uk/
Tiny Happy People
Tiny Happy people has been developed by the BBC to help support families with young babies, toddlers and children’s communication skills. It has a range of activities, tips and advice whilst staying at home; support with parenting and children’s mental health whilst sharing information about children’s development. The site has a range of activities; quizzes but also support information.
National Literacy Trust
The National Literacy Trust also have a range of fun activities and videos to support with children’s reading and literacy skills. There are several areas depending upon the ages and stages of children but include:
http://www.wordsforlife.org.uk/baby- Words for Life provides information, guidance and advice to support children’s reading and literacy development form birth -3 years; 3-5 years; 5-7 years and 7-11 years.
https://www.librariesconnected.org.uk/page/librariesfromhome- Libraries from home shares a virtual library and provides information about summer reading challenges.
Download the app “BorrowBox” to enable you to borrow e-books from your local library. Log in with your library card number and pincode and you can borrow up to 6 books at a time.